We are what we eat; and this is true for our pooches too.
There are so many amazing natural remedies that can ease with health problems not only for yourself – but also for your dog.
These fishcakes are suitable & tasty for any dog; but especially if your dog suffers from any digestive issues – start cooking NOW ladies and gentleman.
One of our favourite hobbies with Zeus is to make healthy human & 100% doggo friendly recipes at home – food that we can eat together .
I cook for myself every day, and I am always conscious about whether the food I make is also suitable for Zeus; I love to make food that I can guilt free dish out to Zeus for leftovers (or a romantic meal for two ;)).
If you are cooking at home, it is not overly difficult to create yummy meals that are also dog friendly – simply avoid cooking with certain ingredients such as salt, onions, citrus etc. For a more comprehensive guide on what not to feed your dog check out What not to feed your dog on Thanksgiving & What are you feeding your dog?
Remember that you can always add the non-doggo friendly ingredients to your own dish either after cooking – or by making two different versions on different pans.
One of our favourite top tips to making your meals more dog friendly is using coconut oil during cooking (olive oil isn’t so bad either. We like to mix it up though as coconut oil has so many added health benefits to dogs).
Interestingly enough, if you google whether coconut and coconut oil is healthy for dogs; the first recommendation that you will see is that it is not suitable for dogs according to the ASPCA.
Most dog nutritionists will however tell you of the many health benefits of feeding/ or cooking dog food with coconut oil; I am one of these nutritionists.
Coconut Oil can be a great supplement for your dogs skin (especially if your dog is suffering from any skin irritations or allergies), it can aid your pooches digestive system, immune system, and can even help clear up eye or ear infections !
One of my favourite resource guides for natural dog nutrition is dogsnaturallymagazine.com and I would highly recommend any pet parent to read their amazing articles. You can find their opinion on coconut oil here The Health Benefits of Coconut Oil for Dogs .
Lemongrass, Turmeric, Dill & Ginger Cod Cake Recipe
Lemongrass: Natural flea, moth, and mosquito repellent & can ease an upset stomach.
Turmeric: The ultimate superfood that has the most health benefits to any natural ingredient in the world including digestive aid.
Dill: Overall digestive aid that can help with gas, bloating, and any other digestive issues. Antioxidant rich and can help freshen your pooches breath.
Ginger: especially great for older dogs that have digestive issues. Does your dog get car sick? Have ginger at hand. It alleviates diarrhoea, flatulence, gas etc.
1 stalk lemongrass
1.5 teaspoon of turmeric
1/2 cm roughly of fresh grated ginger
3 teaspoons chopped dill (keep one teaspoon for garnishing at end)
500ml light coconut milk
coconut oil for frying (or you can pop the fishcakes in the oven)
- Bash the end of the lemongrass until you can smell all the wonderful fragrances.
- In a large pot that can also fit the fish; heat up coconut oil, 1 teaspoon of turmeric, ginger, & pop in the lemongrass.
- Allow to simmer for 5 minutes so that all the ingredients combine
- Pop in the fish to the mixture and simmer on a low heat with lid on for 8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow fish to cook in the mixture for another 6 minutes, then remove the fish from the mixture and place on a plate.
- Boil the potatoes, roughly 20 minutes, or until they are soft enough to mash.
- Mix the fish with the potatoes and the remaining turmeric, dill & a small sprinkle of salt.
- Make fishcake patties! (I would recommend making small patties as these are easier to fry or cook and you can give them to your dog as snacks or treats)
- Wrap the patties in clingfilm so that they keep their shape.
- Pop patties in the freezer for roughly 30 minutes.
- Grill or fry patties ! If you would like to make these for yourself as well; why not cover them in breadcrumps before you fry (natural organic breadcrumbs are not bad for your dog either!). Fry for roughly 5 minutes in total on medium heat or grill in the oven for 7-10 minutes on a high heat.
Whats great about these fishcakes is that they are also super easy to take with you; if you happen to be going to a pooch-pawtay! Just make sure you chilled them properly wrapped in the clingfilm; which will make them super handy to carry. Then all you need to do when arriving at your hosts house is remove the clingfilm and pop them on the pan or grill !
Happy cooking and Happy Stomachs cuties 💜
Zeus & Anna 💜